[Fedora-directory-users] Possible bug in directory server

Russell Miller duskglow at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 00:14:15 UTC 2008

I'm not opening an official bug for this because it's already in RedHat
support's hands and I'm waiting for them to reproduce it.  But I want to see
if anyone else has encountered this too, I've spent a great deal of time
diagnosting this and I want to make sure I'm not barking up the wrong tree
while I wait (the more confident I am that it's a real problem, the more
confident I am thinking about and proposing a fix).

It seems that using the "exop" directive in ldap.conf causes password
changes to be done using the extended operation (referrals don't seem to
work properly in some cases if you don't use exop).

However, it seems that in the directory server code, when you use the
password change exop, it's considered "internal" (because it's a plugin),
and thus a referral is never sent.  So if you turn exop on and have a
replicated setup where you are pointing to a slave, the correct referral is
never sent.

Has anyone else encountered this?  I can provide details and the results of
my testing that overwhelmingly points to this being a bug in the directory
server.

Thoughts?  Am I completely out there and making an ass of myself with
support?  ;)

Thanks.

--Russell