[Fedora-directory-users] Allow root to change user's passwords

Ryan Braun [ADS] ryan.braun at ec.gc.ca
Fri Dec 12 15:01:24 UTC 2008

On Thursday 11 December 2008 23:38, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> I'm used to being able to change user's passwords as root using the
> "passwd" command on my main server (this was with NIS and the master
> shadow file kept on the server).  Now with FDS, I get:
>
> # passwd orion
> Changing password for user orion.
> Enter login(LDAP) password:
>
> and I must enter the password for the user "orion".  This gets tricky
> when the user has forgotten their password.
>
> Is there a way to avoid this first check and allow root to force a
> change of the password?

I know it's possible,  here is the way my setup (etch) works.  It's likely a
PAM issue.

xxxfcst2:~# passwd ryantest
New password:
Re-enter new password:
LDAP password information changed for ryantest
passwd: password updated successfully
xxxfcst2:~# grep ryantest /etc/passwd
xxxfcst2:~# getent passwd|grep ryan
ryantest:x:10058:5000:cfwx Account:/tmp/ryantest:/bin/bash

ytrfcst2:/etc/pam.d# grep -v ^# common*
common-account:account sufficient       pam_ldap.so
common-account:account  required        pam_unix.so
common-auth:auth        sufficient      pam_ldap.so
common-auth:auth        required        pam_unix.so nullok_secure
use_first_pass
common-password:
common-password:
common-password:password   sufficient pam_ldap.so ignore_unknown_user
common-password:password   required   pam_unix.so nullok obscure min=4 max=8
md5
common-password:
common-password:
common-session:session  required        pam_unix.so
common-session:session optional pam_ldap.so

xxxfcst2:/etc/pam.d# grep -v ^# passwd

@include common-password

xxxfcst2:/etc/pam.d#

And lastly pam_ldap.conf

xxxfcst2:/etc# grep -v ^# pam_ldap.conf |strings
 @(#)$Id: ldap.conf,v 2.47 2006/05/15 08:13:44 lukeh Exp $
base dc=xxx,dc=ec,dc=gc,dc=ca
uri ldap://xxxoff.isb.ec.gc.ca
uri ldap://xxxoff0.isb.ec.gc.ca