[Fedora-directory-users] Class Loader

audunroe at tihlde.org audunroe at tihlde.org
Thu Jan 3 11:18:11 UTC 2008

> Audun,
> 	I connect to my Fedora6 FDS1.0.4 setup from my mac using an X11
> terminal over ssh with forwarding.  ssh -XY blah.blah.gov.   Then I
> run the console from there and everything in terms of security is done
> lcalhost on the ldap server, my session shows up on my mac tunneled
> entirely through ssh.  This gets through any firewall I've had to deal
> with.
>
> I'm not clear on whether this works for you in your set up, but I
> thought I'd add my 2 cents.  Good luck.
>
> 	ED.

This actually does work, although it's rather slow over ~200kb/s VPN.
Still, beats no console at all. Thanks for the suggestion!

An additional question, though:

I've been using the wiki entry on
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:WindowsConsole as a
reference. Judging by the requirement to copy the ./lib folder and set
paths/environment vars for it, java.library.path in particular, the
console would seem to use JNI (ie: native calls, not
pure/platform-independent Java) for some of its functionality. If so, how
could it ever work on Windows? Simply copying the native libs as suggested
by the wiki entry would, to the best of my knowledge, accomplish nothing.
An older admin console MSI-installer package I came across actually
included a handful of DLLs, to reinforce the impression that native calls
are used/needed. On the other hand, people seem to have been able to make
it work in Windows by simply following the instructions of the wiki, so
I'm a bit puzzled. If this is the case, it would seem they're not needed.

(To reiterate: I can run the console under Windows and I can connect to
the adm server, but it's functionally crippled. Either due to a certain
firewall that remains closed; JNI, something else entirely, or possibly
all three. Hopefully I'll be able to at least rule out or identify the fw
as the culprit by next week ;)

--
Regards,
Audun