[Fedora-directory-users] DS 1.1 silent install

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Mon Jan 7 05:53:01 UTC 2008

I noticed that what looks like the final release of 1.1 is available
while I was working on a new directory setup today.  I decided to update
my configuration templates, and set up the new directory.

I had a couple of notes...

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Release_Notes

The release notes indicate that ldapjdk from FC6 should be installed,
however, no URL is given, and the package from 5.1 (I'm using CentOS
5.1, so this may be different) seems to work fine.  Should that package
name be moved to the list of packages in the previous list item?

After importing the GPG key indicated, I downloaded the adminutil and
jss packages indicated, and tried to use "yum localinstall" to install
them.  Yum complained that the GPG key was not available.  I think that
the URL listed should be changed to:
rpm --import
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/RPM-GPG-KEY-Fedora-Extras

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/install/8.0/Installation_Guide-Advanced_Configuration-Silent-Install.html

In the example provided for the "admin section, SysUser is specified as
"root".  If I attempt a silent install with a user other than the one
specified for SuiteSpotUserID in the General section, including "root",
the setup script complains that the pid directory is not writable by
that user.  I believe that this is a bug in the dirsrv-admin init
script.  On the other hand, I don't have any problem running admin
server after using "ldap" as a user, so perhaps the documentation should
simply reflect that the admin user must be the same as SuitSpotUserID
(or the option should be dropped, and the same uid should be used).