[Fedora-directory-users] Samba + FDS Problem adding Administrator account "Username not found"

Jonathan Barber j.barber at dundee.ac.uk
Thu Jan 10 10:01:52 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 03:08:59PM -0500, Gary Martin wrote:
> I am following the instructions in the Howto:Samba documentation on
> the FDS Wiki site.  When I go to edit the Administrator account using
> the following command:

[snip]

> # Administrator, People, test.com
> dn: uid=Administrator,ou=People,dc=test,dc=com
> uid: Administrator
> cn: Samba Admin
> givenName: Samba
> sn: Admin
> mail: Administrator at test.com
> objectClass: person
> objectClass: organizationalPerson
> objectClass: inetOrgPerson
> objectClass: posixAccount
> objectClass: top
> loginShell: /bin/bash
> uidNumber: 0
> gidNumber: 0
> homeDirectory: /root
> gecos: Samba Admin

Did you add this user with smbpasswd? AFAIK it should have the
sambaSamAccount objectclass with the various attributes that samba
creates (which is dependant upon your version of samba).

The HOWTO specifies using the command:
$ smbpasswd -a Administrator -w<ldap-admin-password>

The ldap filter samba uses (3.0.25 at least) is of the form:
(&(uid=USERNAME)(objectClass=sambaSamAccount))

So if you haven't added the user via samba (or added the attributes
manually) the filter won't match and samba won't find the user.

Cheers.

Jonathan Barber
High Performance Computing Analyst
Tel. +44 (0) 1382 386389