[Fedora-directory-users] Migrate users from Netscape LDAP to Red Hat DS

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Jan 14 22:20:02 UTC 2008

Ankur Agarwal wrote:
> Thanks Richard!
>
> But how does Red Hat DS know that it need not rehash the password?
Bec

> e.g. Suppose I create a ldif file saying:
> userPassword=testppassword
>
> and export another ldif:
> userPassword=xyzRR$#==
>
> First one is in plain english since I create that and second one is in
> hashed format because I have exported an existing user. Now if i
> import these 2 to another Red Hat instance how will that new instance
> know that second one is already hashed?
Usually when you export entries using db2ldif you will get LDIF like this:
dn: uid=scarter,....
userPassword: {SSHA}ls089x08sd090808sd08=

If you import this into RHDS, RHDS will see that userPassword is already
hashed using SSHA and will just use the value.

If you are getting the userPassword values some other way, you can just
set the value to
{scheme}base64password
e.g.
{SSHA}lsdf098asdf8z908023lj=