[Fedora-directory-users] Contemplating an upgrade to Fedora DS 1.1

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 15:36:59 UTC 2008

Jeff Tharp wrote:
> I am looking into the feasibility of upgrading the LDAP backend used for
> authentication on many of our web sites (roughly 300K users).  Currently
> we are using FedoraDS 1.0.2 running on RHEL 4 in a multi-master
> configuration of two nodes configured as a high-availability cluster
> using Heartbeat from the Linux-HA project.  My underlying database is
> Berkeley DB 4.2.52.  My goal would be to upgrade to FedoraDS 1.1 running
> on RHEL 5.1.  I have managed to complete the initial installation on my
> test system and so I'm now digging into the details of the migration.
>
> Some questions that have come up:
> 1. RHEL5.1 ships with Berkeley DB 4.3 and I noticed a note that this has
> been found subpar for production use in large environments.  Should I
> consider reverting back to Berkeley DB 4.2.52 or should I look into
> installing Berkeley DB 4.5 or 4.6?  If I installed the FedoraDS 1.1 fc6
> binary packages, do I need to be worried that these were built against a
> specific Berkeley DB version?

Can you be more specific about your planned deployment?  Number of
entries?  Average entry size?  Search rate?  Update rate?  Number of
masters?  Total number of replicas?  Number and type of clients?
> 2. Most of the migration notes I see on the site mention migrating from
> 1.0.4 to 1.1.  Is it necessary to migrate our current 1.0.2 install to
> 1.0.4 as an intermediate step to upgrading to 1.1?  Or should the 1.0.4
> migration steps be sufficient?

The migration script in 1.1 will migrate from 7.1 and 1.0.x.  You do not
need any intermediate migration steps.  The migration script should also
work for even earlier versions (e.g. Netscape 6.x).
> 3. Previously, we had separate physical filesystems for / and /opt, so
> that the directory server files were separated from the system files.  I
> understand that in FedoraDS 1.1 the decision has been to standardize the
> pathing so this is no longer feasible.  If I still wanted at least the
> instance-specific files (or at least the instance-specific database
> files) to be in a separate filesystem, say /data, what would be the
> recommended way of accomplishing this?  Or should I just go crazy with
> symbolic links to accomplish the structure I want? :-)

The main directory you would want to put on a separate partition is
/var/lib/dirsrv/db - where the transaction logs and database index files
go.  These directories can be changed post setup, so you could just
install Fedora DS 1.1 normally, then set those directories.  For maximum
performance, you should put the software on one physical device, the
index files on another separate physical device, and the transaction
logs on another separate physical device.  See
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/8.0/Tuning_Database_Performance-Changing_the_Location_of_the_Database_Transaction_Log.html