[Fedora-directory-users] Random UID not found problem

markwu at micron.com markwu at micron.com
Wed Jan 30 22:41:35 UTC 2008

Hi,
Some of our users get "UID xxxx not found"  message when they open a new
terminal or run a rsh command, it appears a few times a day and  it is
mostly just annoying message because users can continue to work as
normal, however, sometimes It also causes  cron jobs to fail,
In system log, it shows,

crond(pam_unix)[9225]: could not identify user (from getpwnam(USERNAME))
crond[9225]: User not known to the underlying authentication module

We are using Fedora DS 1.0.4, and clients are RHEL 4.5 . This problem
started ever since we switched into LDAP three months ago.

Thanks