[Fedora-directory-users] Question on monitoring authorization

Chun Tat David Chu beyonddc.storage at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 15:21:22 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I've a question on monitoring authorization.

When a user without sufficient privileges and perform a search request on
the LDAP, the user will receive an empty result from the LDAP.

I followed the instruction from the Red hat Directory Server Administrator's
Guide and set the access mode to 777 to log all read, write and execute
commands.

When I look at the log of an unauthorize user, all I see is the following
[07/Jul/2008:11:08:37 -0400] conn=42 op=81 SRCH
base="ou=sandbox,ou=my_test,dc=example,dc=com" scope=1
filter="(objectClass=*)" attrs="objectClass javaClassName"
[07/Jul/2008:11:08:37 -0400] conn=42 op=81 RESULT err=0 tag=101 nentries=0
etime=0

The log doesn't indicate any authorization error.  I was wondering if
there's additional settings that I can set on Fedora DS so I can easily tell
if a user is not authorize to perform a search operation on the LDAP.

Thanks!

- David