[Fedora-directory-users] Creating backup LDAP server.

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Jul 11 01:29:03 UTC 2008

John Oliver wrote:
> Since I figured I was pretty well screwed anyway, I deleted
> /etc/dirsrv/slapd-unix-services2 and re-ran setup-ds-admin.pl  To my
> amazement, it was able to complete successfully!  It went all the way
> through, create an adm.conf and other files, etc.  I was able to log in
> to the web admin screen.
>
> So, I ran /usr/lib/dirsrv/slapd-unix-services2/bak2db to restore the
> database I'd copied over.
Unfortunately (for your case), when you do bak2db, it copies all of the
databases - your user/group database (userRoot), and the console
information database (NetscapeRoot).  So if you restore it on your new
instance . . .
> That looked very promising, but there were
> two points where it said it was deleting an attribute of unix-services2
> and then adding one for unix-services, which is the other, live machine.
> After that, clicking on Fedora Administration Express gave me an error.

. . . you wipe out the new information you just created with
setup-ds-admin.pl
> I just went back to copy-and-paste it, but now I get an Internal Server
> Error, and /var/log/httpd is empty.

/var/log/dirsrv/admin-serv - but it doesn't matter, because the restore
from the other backup probably wiped out the information needed by the
console.
> Since I seemed to make some progress, I stopped dirsrv, deleted
> /etc/dirsrv/slapd-unix-services2
and /var/*/dirsrv/slapd-unix-services2, and
/usr/lib/dirsrv/slapd-unix-services2, and
/usr/lib64/dirsrv/slapd-unix-services2, and /var/log/dirsrv/admin-serv,
and all files in /etc/dirsrv/admin-serv except for admserv.conf,
httpd.conf, console.conf, and nss.conf
> and re-ran setup-ds-admin.pl  When it
> was done, I could get in to the admin interface again, only now it shows
> me slapd-unix-services and slapd-unix-services2  So, I'm not sure if
> that's progress or not.
>
> I want to wind up with a working backup of slapd-unix-services so if
> that machine takes a crap, I can just bring up an interface with it's IP
> address on slapd-unix-services2 and keep LDAP authentication working
> while I puzzle out what went wrong on the first server.

Replication?