[Fedora-directory-users] Importing LDIF file from AD

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Jun 5 23:34:39 UTC 2008

Kenneth Holter wrote:
> Hi.
>

> We're trying to populate our DS with users from AD. Our plan is to
> build and populate the database with entries from AD, and thereafter
> set up Windows Sync to maintain the database.
>
> I import the LDIF file using the ldif2db.pl perl script. One issue
> I've come across is that the script finishes with "modifcation
> complete" regardless of success or failure. How can I get the script
> to report errors?
That script just starts the task running in the server.  You can check
the error log for status.  Or query the entry (using ldapsearch) whose
DN ldif2db.pl prints out.
> Or are there maybe smarter ways of importing LDIF files on the command
> line?
You can use ldif2db but you can only use that if the server is not running.

> Furthermore, are there any issues with AD LDIF import I should be
> aware of`?
You mean, exporting an LDIF from AD and importing it directly into
Fedora DS?  Or vice versa?  If you are going to use the Fedora DS AD
Sync feature, you should let Fedora DS do the initial sync - do not
attempt to manually export/import from AD to Fedora DS.  I'm almost
certain it will not work without heavy data massaging.