[Fedora-directory-users] Re: fds + kerberos

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Jun 16 15:58:18 UTC 2008

Howard Chu wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:48:50 -0700
>> From: Scott Grizzard <scott at scottgrizzard.com>
>
>> With Heimdal and OpenLDAP, you can use the smbk5pwd overlay (it's in the
>> contrib directory) to sync heimdal keys, openldap passwords (it actually
>> points the openldap password to the heimdal key), and sambaLA and
>> sambaNT hashes.  Then, if you configure your client services to change
>> passwords using ldappasswd, you can avoid the long chain of custom
>> scripts to keep everything in sync.
>
> Right. (I figure you weren't explaining that to me, since I wrote all
> that code.)
>
>> If there is something similar for MIT Kerberos and FDS, I would be sold
>> in microsecond.
>
> That'd probably be a premature move. The MIT code is far less stable
> than Heimdal. Their library has a long history of thread safety
> issues, security flaws, and crashes in threaded servers. The MIT folks
> may be ok on the conceptual side, but when it comes to practical
> implementations they fumble the details more often than not. There are
> a lot of reasons both OpenLDAP and Samba support Heimdal.
MIT is widely supported across a variety of operating systems, being the
default Kerberos implementation on many of them.  It has a lot of vendor
support.  Although the LDAP features of MIT Kerberos are relatively new,
Red Hat has a lot of resources dedicated to ensuring they work well,
since this is an important part of the freeIPA project.