[Fedora-directory-users] Use of SLAPI_PLUGIN_BE_POST_MODIFY_FN

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Jun 23 21:21:29 UTC 2008

Eric wrote:
> I would like to perform an action if and only if a database operation succeeds,
You can do this.
> as well as revert that database operation if the action fails.
You can't do this.  That is, you can't revert another prior operation.
> From the documentation I understand I should wrap both in a transaction and implement it through these parameters: SLAPI_PLUGIN_BE_POST_MODIFY_FN, SLAPI_PLUGIN_BE_POST_ADD_FN, SLAPI_PLUGIN_BE_POST_DELETE_FN.

It might be possible, but you'd have to hack the database code in order
to get all of your operations into a single database transaction.  BE
plugins are called inside the database lock, so you can be assured that
your code will be called with the database in a consistent state, but
you can't use them to add other operations to the transaction.