[Fedora-directory-users] FDS instance over UDP port (389)

Howard Chu hyc at symas.com
Sun May 25 02:51:29 UTC 2008

> Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 10:42:25 -0600
> From: Rich Megginson<rmeggins at redhat.com>

> Fernando Muñoz wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>>   I've got a question,
>>
>> Is there any way for raise a LDAP instance over 389 UDP port (CLDAP)?

OpenLDAP supports CLDAP. Note that there is no formal spec for this protocol;
there was a draft for LDAPv2 that expired long ago. Microsoft's version of
CLDAP (naturally) does not conform to that draft. OpenLDAP supports both the
expired draft and the Microsoft bastardization thereof, and has done so since
at least 2000.

But offering LDAP over UDP is a far cry from joining an AD environment. (See
PADL's XAD, for instance, which was developed on OpenLDAP and subsequently
sold to Novell.)

>>    I've been trying to join a WindowsXP machine to a
>> FDS(backend)-SAMBA3(PDC) environment, and I've got a problem:
>>
>> Sniffing a WindowsXP (client) machine traffic, I see there are LDAP
>> petitions (connections) through UDP 389 port, and FDS instance run over
>> TCP ports.
>>
> No, Fedora DS does not support UDP (CLDAP).
>
> You should check out Samba4.

Yes, that would probably be the best route now.

--
   -- Howard Chu