[Fedora-directory-users] Re: Fedora-directory-users Digest, Vol 41, Issue 24

John Dickinson jad at jadickinson.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 12:05:27 UTC 2008

On 30 Oct 2008, at 16:00, Rich Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com> wrote:

> John Dickinson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am testing what happens when you create a new user and sync it to
>> AD. Using Fedora DS 1.1.3 and AD 2003 R2 SP2.
>>
>> If I use the console to create a new user and tick the Enable NT User
>> Attributes, Create New NT Account etc the new user appears in AD but
>> is disabled.
>>
>> Looking at the code it seems that send_accountcontrol_modify() gets
>> the userAccountControl settings from AD adds 0x0200 (Normal Account)
>> and sends it back.
>>
>> Looking at the traffic between Fedora DS and AD it appears that
>> Fedora
>> DS is getting ACCOUNTDISABLE in userAccountControl from AD.
>>
>> Should FedoraDS be unsetting ACCOUNTDISABLE or should AD not be
>> setting it in the first place? If it is a problem with AD then can
>> anyone point me to where I tell it to do the right thing?
> Does AD have some sort of setting that tells it to disable new
> accounts?

Not that I know about. But I am no windows expert.

> What happens if you create new accounts directly in AD?

When you create a new user in windows there is a tick box to disable
the account but it is not ticked by default and the user is created in
an enabled state.

I see the following when:
- Both Windows and Fedora DS set to enforce no password complexity
constraints
- Windows sync agreement and password sync working
- When creating a user in AD only one option is selected by default -
user must change password at next login.
- The following options are not ticked by default:
-- User cannot change password
-- Password never expires
-- Account is disabled

create user in AD                    userAccountControl: 512 (Normal)
create user in Fedora DS (console)   userAccountControl: 546 (Normal +
PASSWD_NOTREQ + ACCOUNTDISABLE)

Would there be anything wrong with Fedora DS just forcing
userAccountControl = 512? Or are more options needed in the user
creation dialog?

John