[Fedora-directory-users] Re: Windows sync: how do you populate the posixUser attributes?

Erling Ringen Elvsrud erlingre at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 19:54:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Rich Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com> wrote:
[...]
> That should work.  But note that posix attributes will not sync to AD.  And
> even if you did manage to find a posix schema that worked with AD, and added
> the posix schema on the AD side, those attributes would not be synced to
> Fedora DS.

Thanks for your answer.

I start to wonder if Windows sync is worth the trouble. At my site we
will probably not implement password sync as the AD-side is very
restrictive about installing anything. So what I get is basically a
skeleton that I have to populate with the posixUser attributes.

Another issue is groups in AD. I suppose those groups will become
regular unix-groups on the directory server side, which might not
be enough for all policing needs (may need netgroups in addition).

We will probably have maximum a few hundred users in the directory, do
you think Windows-sync is worth the bother?

Erling