[Fedora-directory-users] "Server failed to start !!!" when installing FDS 1.1.3 in RHEL5.2

Christopher Waltham cwaltham at bowdoin.edu
Mon Nov 17 19:36:51 UTC 2008

On Nov 14, 2008, at 10:45 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:

>>> This looks like a different problem.  This is what usually happens
>>> if you run setup again without having first cleaned up everything
>>> from the prior run.  One problem with setup-ds-admin.pl is that
>>> you cannot simply run it again - it will detect the previous
>>> configuration (however broken it may be).
>>
>> That's what I thought -- and can't understand. :) This is a fresh
>> install of RHEL; I did a find / -name dirsrv and it came up with
>> nada. Zero. Zilch! I'm not sure what else to look for?
> No dirsrv directories at all?  There should be some - try rpm -V
> fedora-ds-base - if that has problems, try yum reinstall fedora-ds-
> base
> finally, try setup-ds-admin.pl -ddd to generate debug output - log
> file is in /tmp

Thanks, guys. The problem was this: I was trying to create a new LDAP
server with the same name (i.e., hostname) as a server that already
existed on my network. So, the admin server configuration utility was
freaking out. I played with the /etc/hosts file and now life is good.
Thanks for the help! Now I have another problem, but I'll create a new
thread :)

Chris