[Fedora-directory-users] Migrating Netscape DS to FDS

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Oct 3 15:20:37 UTC 2008

Dave wrote:

> Hi,  I have an old Netscape Directory Server version 4.1  (circa 2001)
> that I need to migrate to Fedora Directory Server, but I am confused
> as to the proper migration path.
>
> I've been reading the Red Hat DS install guides at
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/   (as there doesn't
> appear to be as a comprehensive guide for Fedora DS.
The Red Hat Guides are pretty good, but refer to the wiki for
information about where the differ.

> The Redhat DS 8.0 guide says that migrating Netscape DS 4.x is not
> supported (only version 6 and above), so I read the Red Hat DS 6.0
> install guide and it says that Netscape DS 4.x is indeed supported.
> So am I right to presume that a step-upgrade will be required, from my
> current version 4.x to 6.x and then to the current version 8.0?
Yes.  I hope you are a perl hacker . . .
If you look here -
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/ldapserver/ldap/admin/src/scripts/?hideattic=0&root=dirsec
- you will see several dead migration scripts.  The main one you want to
start with is template-migrateTo5 -
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/ldapserver/ldap/admin/src/scripts/template-migrateTo5?hideattic=0&revision=1.7&root=dirsec&view=markup
- that file contains the code to convert the config and schema settings
from the old style to the new ldif style.

> Also, what version of the Fedora-DS is equivalent to Red Hat DS 6.0?
There isn't one.  The first version of Fedora DS was 7.1 which was
essentially the same as Red Hat DS 7.1