[Fedora-directory-users] FDS - The whoami Response

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Wed Oct 29 21:53:22 UTC 2008

Wilmer Jaramillo M. wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 5:41 AM, Michael Ströder <michael at stroeder.com> wrote:
>> Wilmer Jaramillo M. wrote:
>
> I just try associated one user dn with my apps using the whoami_s() ldap method.

You could also do this by a search. Not sure how general usable your
code has to be.

>> It seems FDS implements something similar: an extended control to be
>> sent along with the bind request/response (see RFC 3829, OID values
>> 2.16.840.1.113730.3.4.15/2.16.840.1.113730.3.4.16 in attribute
>> supportedControl of rootDSE).
>
> Interesting, the RFC4532 is the replace of RFC3829 but isn't supported
> by python :(

Please read my e-mails more carefully since you probably misunderstood
my last message.

RFC 3829 is "Informational" and is currently not supported by
python-ldap. But this is what to use with FDS. Feel free to implement
support for it in python-ldap. As the maintainer of python-ldap I say:
Contributions welcome.

RFC 4532 is "Standards Track" and is supported by python-ldap thanks to
 the OpenLDAP LDAP C libs supporting it.

Ciao, Michael.