[389-users] Specifying failover configuration servers

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Aug 13 19:03:29 UTC 2009

Ryan Braun [ADS] wrote:
> In my testing lab,  I have setup 2 servers using MMR replicating both userroot
> and netscaperoot.  All replication is working between the 2 servers.  My 3rd
> server,  a consumer read-only replica of userroot, I registered to the first
> of the 2 MMR servers.  My question,  is how do I configure the slave server
> to be able to contact the second (or any other) MMR server to get is admin
> server configs automatically if the first server ever goes boom?  Eventually
> we will have 4 MMR servers,  2 groups of 2 with ip takeover style HA, for
> example
>
> westldap.example.com (virtual ip)
> westldap0.example.com
> westldap1.example.com
> eastldap.example.com (virtual ip)
> eastldap0.example.com
> eastldap1.example.com
>
> On the slave server,  adm.conf looks like so (with host specific details
> replaced).  Would I just add another ldapurl option?
No, unfortunately it's not that smart.  Unfortunately, failover is
manual.  Please file a bugzilla to request failover.
> And would the server be
> smart enough to fail over to the next server listed?
>
> AdminDomain: example.com
> sysuser: nobody
> isie: cn=389 Administration Server, cn=Server Group, cn=ywgsrvr4.example.com,
> ou=example.com, o=NetscapeRoot
> SuiteSpotGroup: nogroup
> sysgroup: nogroup
> userdn: uid=admin, ou=Administrators, ou=TopologyManagement, o=NetscapeRoot
> ldapurl: ldap://srvr0.example.com:389/o=NetscapeRoot
> SuiteSpotUserID: nobody
> sie: cn=admin-serv-srvr4, cn=389 Administration Server, cn=Server Group,
> cn=srvr4.example.com, ou=example.com, o=NetscapeRoot
>

> Also,  on the slave server I found this in dse.ldif
>
> dn: cn=Pass Through Authentication,cn=plugins,cn=config
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: nsSlapdPlugin
> objectClass: extensibleObject
> cn: Pass Through Authentication
> nsslapd-pluginPath: libpassthru-plugin
> nsslapd-pluginInitfunc: passthruauth_init
> nsslapd-pluginType: preoperation
> nsslapd-pluginEnabled: on
> nsslapd-plugin-depends-on-type: database
> nsslapd-pluginarg0: ldap://srvr0.example.com:389/o=NetscapeRoot
> nsslapd-pluginId: passthruauth
> nsslapd-pluginVersion: 1.2.1
> nsslapd-pluginVendor: Fedora Project
> nsslapd-pluginDescription: pass through authentication plugin
>
> I am guessing this pass thru allows me to login to the admin server on
> srvr0.example.com,  and then allow me access to the slave server.
Not exactly.  This allows the uid=admin,....,o=NetscapeRoot user to
login to servers that do not have o=NetscapeRoot, by passing through the
credentials to the configuration DS (the server that has o=NetscapeRoot).
> If so,  I
> would assume I would need an entry like this for each MMR server?  Would I
> need a whole entry?  or just stack the nsslapd-pluginarg0 attribute with all
> the servers ie
>
> dn: cn=Pass Through Authentication,cn=plugins,cn=config
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: nsSlapdPlugin
> objectClass: extensibleObject
> cn: Pass Through Authentication
> nsslapd-pluginPath: libpassthru-plugin
> nsslapd-pluginInitfunc: passthruauth_init
> nsslapd-pluginType: preoperation
> nsslapd-pluginEnabled: on
> nsslapd-plugin-depends-on-type: database
> nsslapd-pluginarg0: ldap://srvr0.example.com:389/o=NetscapeRoot
> nsslapd-pluginarg0: ldap://srvr1.example.com:389/o=NetscapeRoot
> nsslapd-pluginarg0: ldap://srvr.example.com:389/o=NetscapeRoot

The attribute is not multi-valued like that.  There is a different
syntax for specifying multiple host:port in an LDAP URL:
ldap://srvr0.example.com:389 srvr1.example.com:389