[389-users] Ou=Hosts usage

Prashanth Sundaram psundaram at wgen.net
Tue Dec 1 22:52:19 UTC 2009

Dear All,

Has anyone implemented ou=Hosts in their ldap infrastructure? I am planning
to implement this for inventory tracking. Here is a sample attributes I am
planning to add to it.

dn: cn=ldap.example.com,ou=Host,dc=example,dc=com
hostName: ldap.example.com
hostClass: UtilityServers
hostStatus: live
hostPriority: High
hostSerial: KH9890HLXC
macAddress: 00:09:89:67:L7:8S
ipAddress: 192.168.10.28
IpAddress: 192.168.10.29
ipSubnet: 255.255.0.0
team: unixAdminTeam
contactPerson: Prashanth

What I am trying to do: I want to keep this DB up-to-date and show these
items on INTRANET page.

I am looking for other use case scenarios for implementing this. Anyone has
any suggestions/opinions for this?

Related Info about OU=Hosts
I read in LDAP System Administration book(by Gerald Carter) about being able
to resolve hosts using LDAP i.e refer LDAP as backend DB for DNS(bind 9
only).  He talks about ŒZone2ldap¹ to convert the DNS zone file to a format
like this RelativeDomainName=<hostname>,dc=example,dc=com