[389-users] CoS imports slow

Edward "Koko" Konetzko konetzed at quixoticagony.com
Wed Dec 2 20:37:22 UTC 2009

I have a set of CoS objects I am importing in and their add times are
extremely slow about 1 a second.  There are about 500k objects in the
directory currently and its broken down in a hierarchical format.

A simple ASCII drawing would be.

ou=top

    - ou=First

       + ou=Second

             + cn=Final

This is representation of the data but for ease of explanation this
should work.

There are lots of "First" object and they have the possibility of lots
of "second" objects. Its the also the same for "Second" object they
could have a lot of "Final" objects.  The idea is to use CoS at the
First and Second level to reduce the amount look ups and redundant data
as final objects need some info from the second objects and first objects.

Hopefully I explained that in a way it is easy to understand.

My question is are CoS objects not supposed to be used this way?  Also
are lots of CoS objects used in a hierarchical tree this way bad?  Is
there a way to make these imports faster?   And last am I just doing
something completely wrong and there is a better way that I should work
to my end goal.

Thanks
Edward