[389-users] CoS imports slow

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Dec 3 15:12:57 UTC 2009

Edward "Koko" Konetzko wrote:
> Rich Megginson wrote:
>> Edward "Koko" Konetzko wrote:
>>> I have a set of CoS objects I am importing in and their add times
>>> are extremely slow about 1 a second.
>> What platform?  What 389-ds-base version?  By import do you mean
>> ldif2db or ldap add?
> RHEL 5 64 bit, RHDS 8.1 and using ldapadd.  Hardware is HP DL385 with
> 16 gigs of ram, raid1 for os and raid 10 for /var/lib/dirsrv.   I have
> tried with the import buffer(?) set to auto and 2 gigs.
Since you are using Red Hat Directory Server, you should contact Red Hat
support.

import buffer is only when using ldif2db.  LDAP Add is much slower than
ldif2db.  I think part of it is that CoS is optimized for searching, but
not so much for adding new CoS definitions - it builds a cache in memory
to make searches go very quickly, but building the cache takes time
during each add or modify operation.

>>> 389-users at redhat.com