[389-users] Password Policy not working fine

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Dec 4 20:25:34 UTC 2009

Allan Gaston Hougham wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> Sorry, I saw you answer now..
> With our settings on ldap.conf the error is:

> What is the shorcut for to resolve this problem?
>
> 1 - We need run this command: ldappasswd -x to disable SASL auth
>

> 2- We need make this settings?
>
> Need to configure the directory server and nss_ldap/pam_ldap
> (/etc/ldap.conf) to use TLS
>

> Is not important have a secure conection in authentication
> We need that ours policies working fine
>
> I think that we aren´t using ldappasswd...
ldappasswd uses the password extended operation, just like pam_password
exop.  In order to use this extended operation, you must use a secure
connection, which means TLS/SSL or SASL with a negotiated security layer.

So you either need to configure your LDAP server and client to use TLS,
or use something like ldapmodify to change the userPassword attribute
directly (i.e. don't use the passwd command).