[389-users] dsktune is wrong

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 15:10:43 UTC 2009

Hey folks,

Now that I want to install this in production, I have to ask about dsktune :-)

Some of what it is telling me just seems plain incorrect.   Let's have a look

WARNING: There are only 1024 file descriptors (hard limit) available, which
limit the number of simultaneous connections.

WARNING: There are only 1024 file descriptors (soft limit) available, which
limit the number of simultaneous connections.

Yet :

[root at fileserver ~]# !cat
cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
306460

I'm also wondering about whether or not this is really something to
worry about :
NOTICE : The net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time is set to 7200000 milliseconds
(120 minutes).  This may cause temporary server congestion from lost
client connections.

I've got 20 or so users.   Is this really an issue for me?  Changing
it is of course pretty trivial, but I'd rather not if I do not have
to.

thanks,
-Alan