[389-users] Securing LDAP information on the network

Kenneth Holter kenneho.ndu at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 14:01:47 UTC 2009

Hi all.

We'd like to make sure that the LDAP data on our network is encrypted, at
least the data that contains sensitive information. We've set up TLS between
on these communication links:

   - LDAP client <-> LDAP server (using StartTLS)
   - LDAP master <-> LDAP slave
   - Web browser <-> Admin server web console (i.e. https)

We have a pretty default installation of the directory server (which btw is
Red Hat Directory Server v8.1.0). To my best knowledge, these links above
should cover all relevant trafikk on the network, since the directory
server, admins server and the console are all located on the same physical
server. Does anyone agree or disagree?

Btw, if anyone knows of any nice diagrams that shows the different data
links (i.e information flow) between the directory server components (such
as admins server, console, main console, directory server, and so forth)
please do post a link to this.

Best regards,
Kenneth Holter