[389-users] import private key

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Thu Dec 17 14:56:01 UTC 2009

Mikael Kermorgant wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've asked for a bunch of certificate lately, issuing certificate
> request with openssl for all of them.
>
> Unfortunately, I forgot that the procedure for installing a
> certificate in 389ds was to issue the certificate request with its own
> tools.
>
> Is there an easy way to import my private key in 389ds in order to use
> my new certificate ?
>
> Regards,

Sure. Use the openssl pkcs12 command to create a PKCS#12 file containing
the private key and cert, then use the NSS tool pk12util to import it
into your 389-ds NSS database.

# openssl pkcs12 -export -in cert.pem -inkey key.pem -out cert.p12 -name
"Server-Cert"
# pk12util -i cert.p12 -d /etc/dirsrv/slapd-INSTANCE/

rob