[389-users] nscd: nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server - Server is unavailable

patrick.morris at hp.com patrick.morris at hp.com
Wed Dec 30 23:00:22 UTC 2009

Prashanth Sundaram wrote:

> I have two 389-ds servers with MMR via TLS and client hosts
> authenticating via TLS. I see this error message in all client machines
> in /var/log/messages. It seems nscd is failing at random intervals. Has
> anyone seen this before?

> Dec 29 10:35:35 dmc189 nscd: nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server -
> Server is unavailable
> Dec 29 11:00:21 dmc189 nscd: nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server -
> Server is unavailable
> Dec 29 11:12:15 dmc189 nscd: nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server -
> Server is unavailable

Sure. It can be caused by several things: intermittent connectivity
issues, server malfunctions (the server log's a good place to look for
those), and several other possibilities.

It could also be caused by problems with nss_ldap itself, especially
given the ldap.conf you've provided. What version are you running,
and on which platform?