[Fedora-directory-users] Password policy don't work on a subtree

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Feb 26 15:20:27 UTC 2009

Visolve LDAP Group wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Hugo Étiévant,
>

> I believe you configured the sub tree password policy through
> ns-newpwpolicy.pl script.
>

> When you configure the global password policy it may override the sub
> tree password policy. So make sure that 'nsslapd-pwpolicy-local' is
> 'on' in cn=config entry of dse.ldif file to make the sub tree policy
> to work.
>

> This attribute decides whether the local password policy is enabled or
> not. Anyways the execution of ns-newpwpolicy.pl script will turn this
> attribute value to 'on'.
>

> However you cannot see any traces of sub tree  Password policy
> attributes by searching cn=config tree or in dse.ldif file. It will
> show only global password policy attributes.
>

> You can see list of applied *sub tree *password policy *attributes* by
> performing a search like this.
>

> /opt/dirsrv/bin/ldapsearch -v -h <host> -p <port> \
>
> -D "<managerDN>" -w <passwd> -b <suffix>  *objectclass=ldapsubentry*
>

> dn:cn="cn=nsPwPolicyEntry,ou=marketing,o=abc.com",cn=nsPwPolicyContainer,ou=marketing,o=abc.com
>
> objectClass: top
>
> objectClass: ldapsubentry
>
> objectClass: passwordpolicy
>
> cn: cn=nsPwPolicyEntry,ou=marketing,o=abc.com
>
> passwordExp: off
>
> passwordMaxAge: 10
>
> passwordWarning: 15
>
> passwordGraceLimit: 1
>
> pwdpolicysubentry:
> cn="cn=nsPwPolicyEntry,ou=marketing,o=abc.com",cn=nsPwPolic
>
>  yContainer,ou=marketing,o=abc.com

If you set a local password policy like this, _it will not use the
global settings at all_ - it will not fallback on the global settings in
cn=config - you must specify all of the parameters you care about in
your local password policy.  If you do not, it will fallback on either
nothing or the hardcoded default in the server itself.