[Fedora-directory-users] Too many FDS open

Andrey Ivanov andrey.ivanov at polytechnique.fr
Thu Feb 26 18:38:21 UTC 2009

Hi,

we use following approaches:
1. we limit the idle connection time "net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = ..." in
/etc/sysctl.conf
2. fs.file-max = 65000 in the same sysct.conf
3. In "/etc/profile" we have added the libe "ulimit -n 65000", otherwise
/etc/init.d/dirsrv takes the value by default of 8192
4.     echo "ldap            hard    nofile  65000"    >>
/etc/security/limits.conf
        echo "ldap            soft    nofile  65000"    >>
/etc/security/limits.conf
        echo "ldap            hard    core    64"       >>
/etc/security/limits.conf
        echo "ldap            soft    core    64"       >>
/etc/security/limits.conf

        echo "root            hard    nofile  65000"    >>
/etc/security/limits.conf
        echo "root            soft    nofile  65000"    >>
/etc/security/limits.conf
        echo "root            hard    core    64"       >>
/etc/security/limits.conf
        echo "root            soft    core    64"       >>
/etc/security/limits.conf
5. verification of unindexed searches ("notes=U")
6. nsscache on clients

we have approx 180 clients, and even without nsscache about 300 conns in
parallel are ok...
You can also use logconv.pl -V logfile to analyse your logs and stats...