[389-users] Password lookup to AD

Prashanth Sundaram psundaram at wgen.net
Mon Jul 13 17:13:11 UTC 2009

Hi,

Is it possible to have Fedora DS and have the password lookup redirected to
Active Directory? Some kind of proxy lookup. Take the case of Mac OS X
server and clients, they have Open Directory and the password manager can
authenticate against the Active Directory.

Is it possible to have FDS without the password?

So I would like to know, is it possible to achieve the same for FDS using
Samba, Winbind or NSS?? Is it possible that the FDS has all the user
permissions  and special groups but the authentication is turned to AD. I
know the passwords are hashed by Kerberos and hope we can achieve this with
some effort.

A useful post by Microsoft
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2008.12.linux.aspx?pr=blog

Thanks,