[389-users] GID error

Doug Coats dcoatshca at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 14:11:44 UTC 2009

I have run into a issue with my system being able to correctly identify a
user and their group.

I am running CentOS 5.3 and centos-ds 8.1

I have created a user using the managment console.

I set up the first name, last name, common name, user id, and password.
Under Posix User I set up UID Number: 10009, GID Number: 10009, Home
Directory: /home/user, and Shell: /bin/bash.

I set up authentication using System > Administration > Authentication.  I
enabled LDAP support and configured it.  Under the options tab I checke
"Create home directories on first login."

My user can log into the box and can ssh into the box.

When I do log in I receive the following error.

id: cannot find name for group ID 10009

When I ls -la the users home directory it displays.

drwxr-xr-x 15 user 100009 4096 Jun 13 08:26 user

I tried creating a "user" group but their is no way to attach a GID to that
group so there is no way for LDAP or PAM to associate the two.

I googled around but none of the solutions worked for me or seemed to apply
to this situation.

Thanks for any help!

Doug