[389-users] GID error

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Mon Jun 15 22:49:24 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 17:03 -0500, Doug Coats wrote:
> That did it.  Thanks for pointing out the obvious.
>
> For those coming after me.  Create a group with the same name as the
> user.  Add the posixgroup to that groups Objectclass.  Fill in the
> gidnumber with the same gid number you used when you created the user.
>
> Now it shows up as expected when I list the directory and I get no
> error on changing to that user.
>
> One last question on this topic.  Is there a way to get that show up
> in the form that you create the group from?  It would be nice not to
> have to do that for each user group that you create.
>
> That being said I will probably just create a large ldif file will all
> my user and group information.  Is this the place just to import it
> set up correctly so that I don't waste my time trying to tweak the
> form?
>
> Thanks again!
<snip>
I suppose anyone comfortable enough with Java could add a page for
groups similar the to page for users which offers to create a Posix user
and then submit it to the development team for consideration.  In my
case, I bent the rules a little bit and added the posixgroup objectclass
to my users to account for the user group.  That may come back to bite
me.

I might also add there is a small problem in the KDE environment where
Konqueror does not query LDAP for groups.  One of the developers was
kind enough to write a patch for me so KDE 3.5 behaved properly and the
patch is being included in the next update for KDE 4.x I believe.  Take
care - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation