[389-users] Performance cuestions about ds.

Peter Grandi pg_fds at fds.for.sabi.co.UK
Wed Jun 17 17:26:53 UTC 2009

>>> On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:34:23 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Julio Gómez
>>> Belmonte <julio at openinside.es> said:

> a directory with a large number of entries, ~ 20,000
> objects.

That is a directory of a very small size. 'grep' of a 20,000
LDIF text file takes very little time.

> My question is: When I receive a too large query, the
> directory will be suspended until they answer this query.

That depends on how it is configured. And it is hard for me to
imagine a realistic query over 20,000 records that takes a
significant amount of time.

> [ ... ] When I run the directory, I get a single process
> (ns-slapd) which is consuming 100% CPU when doing too long
> queries, [ ... ]

At a site I am familiar with the FDS 'slapd' *always* consumes
100% CPU time (RHEL 4), even if the queries are very simple
lookup ('passwd' emulation) and there are only a few queries per
second. I suspect a bug in 'slapd', and I looked briefly into it
and it seemed to me either a busy-lock bug or a a case where the
DB indices get corrupted.