[389-users] Registering to a central admin server

Chris Phillips chris at untrepid.com
Mon Jun 22 18:28:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Rich Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com> wrote:

> Chris Phillips wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Rich Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com<mailto:
>> rmeggins at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>    Chris Phillips wrote:
>>
>>        Hi,
>>
>>        Can someone describe how to register an existing dirsrv
>>        instance to an existing admin server? The ds-setup-admin.pl
>>        scripts clearly performs the registration exercise along with
>>        the build, but I can't see how to do this as a single, 100%
>>        safe non-destructive way of registering existing machines to a
>>        central admin server, to avoid having to annoyingly connect to
>>        admin instances on evey existing machine as we currently have to.
>>
>>    You should be able to use register-ds-admin.pl, or use
>>    setup-ds-admin.pl -u to update software/version information in the
>>    console.
>>

>> Hi again,
>>
>> I've been trying to do this, but I can't see how to register with a
>> different centralized server. at no point in the register-ds-admin.pl steps
>> can I give an alternative server name / IP address to go off and connect to.
>> Any tips?
>>
> Try editing /etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/adm.conf to point to the correct server,
> then try register-ds-admin.pl

I'm afraid I'm still in the dark here. The adm.conf is used by the admin
server to contact the DS instance to be managed? I thought the logic was the
other way round, with the DS server "phoning home" to register itself to the
Admin. Either way, the adm.conf then only lists one server in the ldapurl,
and the other two attributes referencing the server, sie and isie both get
changed to match the server in the ldapurl as part of the registration,
removing all other references to the server that was in there. So whilst I
thought my modifications to adm.conf (changing the ldapurl from server b to
a) on server b and running register-ds-admin.pl on server b would add server
b to the admin console on server a. Instead it *replaced* server b with
server a on the admin console on server b, meaning both admin consoles were
then registered to administer server a. Not anything like what I wanted!

Any pointers?

Cheers

Chris