[389-users] Finger slow and optimizing performance

Tim Hartmann hartmann at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 26 03:52:55 UTC 2009

Hi!

I was spending some time today trying to make sure that I was getting
the most bang for my buck today an my replica's and I notices two items
of interest that I was wondering if anyone else had input on!

Firstly, after creating a number of indexs, my performance seems to be
really good, the exception that I noticed was "finger" I noticed that
finger takes a couple of seconds to return the data on RHDS whereas on
OpenLDAP, it pops right now in real time! My first though was that I was
doing an un-indexed search, but I can't for the life of me figure out
what I might not be indexing that I should be!

The second thing I noticed was that on my servers, which are RHEL5,
running 32bit OS's with the PAE Kernels, RHDS doesn't ever actually
address more then 3 gig of ram! I was looking through the
documentations, and it looks like by raising the "Maximum Cache Size"
I'll be able to allow RHDS to use more of the available memory.. did I
get that right?

Anyway, as always thanks in advance for all the help! This list has been
a tremendous resource for an application that keeps on showing it's
value in huge ways!

Best,

Tim