[389-users] bulk initialization with MMR

Gary Windham windhamg at email.arizona.edu
Fri Jun 26 19:57:43 UTC 2009

We have a setup where we are running 2 servers behind a load balancer
(for HA purposes), where each of these servers is bulk-initialized
daily (via ldif2db.pl) with a large set of data fed to us via batch
extracts from various administrative systems.  Up till now, there has
been no need to configure replication between these 2 servers, as all
of the data is read-only.  However, we now have a requirement to
update some of the directory data in a "real-time" fashion (e.g., when
particular events fire in our PeopleSoft system we want to update the
directory)--hence, the need for MMR.  The batch extracts will still be
our "checkpoints", so we will want to load them in once-per-day, as we
do now.

So, the question is: what would be the "recommended" approach for a
scenario like this?  How do we (can we?) make MMR coexist peacefully
with frequent bulk initializations?

TIA,
--Gary

--