[Fedora-directory-users] Admin-server/config-server

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Mar 11 16:44:51 UTC 2009

tamarin p wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I've installed Fedora DS 1.1.3 on RHEL5 and configured two server
> instances using setup-ds-admin.pl. It seems to work fine, including
> single-master replication. I can manage both servers through the
> fedora-idm-console.
>
> I'm left with some some questions I couldn't find answers to in the
> documentation however, and was hoping someone could help me clear some
> of them.
>
> 1) The Red Hat documentation makes references to both an admin server
> and a configuration server. I can't seem to get a handle on what's
> what. Is it simply two terms for the same thing or does one refer to
> the web-interface while the other refers to the o=NetscapeRoot suffix
> on one of the ldap instances?
The admin server is the httpd server + admin server module (apache
httpd.worker + mod_admserv) - config in /etc/dirsrv/admin-serv
The configuration (directory) server is the directory server (ns-slapd)
that hosts o=NetscapeRoot for your admin domain - config in
/etc/dirsrv/slapd-yourinstancename

> 2) Slightly connected with 1). Is it advisable to create a completely
> separate ldap instance for the configuration server or does one
> generally just use the first instance created? For example in my test
> setup I created two instances. slapd-primary and slapd-secondary,
> where the configuration server for secondary was set to
> ldap://ldap.test.org:389/o=NetscapeRoot
> <http://ldap.test.org:389/o=NetscapeRoot>. I'm assuming pointers to
> all servers managed by this console etc. is stored here. Would it
> instead be advisable to have a completely separate instance for this,
> so that instead of slapd-primary and slapd-secondary, I'd have
> slapd-admin, slapd-primary and slapd-secondary? In production (and
> further along in my testing) they would all live on separate boxes
> obviously.
If you have a very large deployment with hundreds of thousands of
entries, thousands of client connections, and lots of updates and
replication, you might want to have separate instances for ease of
manageability.  Otherwise, having them both on the same instance is fine.

> 3) I'm assuming it's only possible to have one admin console/config
> server per machine. Ie not possible to have four server instances on
> the same box but have the first two managed through one console and
> the remaining two through another (on the same machine)?
There can be only 1 admin server per machine.  The admin server on that
machine manages all directory server instances on that machine.  You can
create directory server instances that cannot be managed in the console
at all using setup-ds.pl.  I don't know if that answers your question.