[Fedora-directory-users] Admin-server/config-server

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Mar 12 13:18:15 UTC 2009

tamarin p wrote:

> 2009/3/11 Rich Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com
> <mailto:rmeggins at redhat.com>>
>
>     tamarin p wrote:
>

>         3) I'm assuming it's only possible to have one admin
>         console/config server per machine. Ie not possible to have
>         four server instances on the same box but have the first two
>         managed through one console and the remaining two through
>         another (on the same machine)?
>
>     There can be only 1 admin server per machine.  The admin server on
>     that machine manages all directory server instances on that
>     machine.  You can create directory server instances that cannot be
>     managed in the console at all using setup-ds.pl.  I don't know if
>     that answers your question.
>

> Thanks for the explanation, Rich.
>
> One additional question with regards to the above, though, if I may:
> Does this mean it's not intended/possible to register ldap instance(s)
> on machine A with the config-server on machine B? I assumed it was
> because answering "yes" on the register-with-existing-configserv step
> in setup-ds-admin.pl prompts you for a full ldap-URL.
You usually have a single configuration directory server for a single
admin domain, which may consist of many machines.  So yes, that's what
that dialog does - it registers your directory server with a (possibly)
remote configuration directory server, used to store configuration for
many machines.
> However, creating an instance with setup-ds.pl and then later running
> register-ds-admin.pl it only seems possible to register locally by
> folder/identifier, not ldap-URL.
It should be possible both ways.