[Fedora-directory-users] HELP! Lost single Master

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Mon May 4 14:17:39 UTC 2009

Hello, everyone.  I did something really stupid.  I accidentally
destroyed our Single Master replica server (that's what I get for
resynching a failed RAID1 drive without realizing the drive device names
had changed because of the failed drive!).  Thankfully we were not yet
in production (although very close and thus using lots of data).
However, because we were not yet in production, it was not backed up.

I'd like to recover the data from the read only replica.  I'm guessing I
can disable replication on the RO server and it will retain the data but
now with write privileges.  I can then rebuild the master, create a
reverse replication agreement to transfer the data back.  Then I can
break that replication agreement, create a new one in the correct
direction, and reinitialize the supplier.

However, when I created the replica server, we told it to join an
existing directory server domain.  Is this simply based upon name? In
other words, once I rebuild the main server and configure it using the
same name and address as the original, will the secondary recognize it
as the domain to which it registered or do I really need to destroy all
servers and recreate the entire domain from scratch? Thanks - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation
jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com