[389-users] domain vs organizationalUnit+dcObject

vu pham vu at sivell.com
Thu May 14 15:17:49 UTC 2009

Trying to practise myself with LDAP, I change the top ldif entry ( top
container) from "domain" to organizationalUnit+dcObject  as follows:

1 Using objectclass domain:
dn: dc=xen2vm1,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: domain
dc: xen2vm1

[... other entries ... for users ]

2. Using objectclass organizationalUnit

dn: dc=xen2vm1,dc=example,dc=com
objectclass: top
objectclass: organizationalunit
objectclass: dcObject
ou: xen2vm1.example.com
dc: xen2vm1

[... other entries ... for users ]

In both cases, other entries below dc=xen2vm1,dc=example,dc=com are the
same.

In the first case, the command "ldapsearch -x -b
dc=xen2vm1,dc=example,dc=com -h xen2vm1.example.com" returns all other
entries.

In the second case the above command return no errors and nothing at all.

I am new with LDAP and cannot figure out what's wrong with the 2nd case.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Vu