[389-users] HOWTO For A Newbie

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Thu May 14 21:27:10 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Gene Poole <gene.poole at macys.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a howto for FDS where it's a new installation and you're
> not migrating from any existing platform? In other words, a how to from the
> very beginning?

There's one on HOWTOFORGE. However, the directory setup for a generic
Linux authentication server is quite trivial.

In a nutshell:

yum -y install centos-ds

Create an unprivileged LDAP user:
useradd -g 1500 -c "Directory Server" dirsrv

Run the setup script:

setup-ds-admin.pl

Choose the "Typical" setup.  Accept just about all defaults. When
prompted for the user to run as, enter dirsrv above (you can use
nobody but I prefer to create an account first). Make note of the
admin and server manager accounts.

Once complete, run the "centos-idm-console" to launch the GUI.

Login as "cn=Directory Manager"  and use the password you provided in
the setup. Use localhost:9830 for the port.

Once logged in you can create a user. Make sure to enable the
corresponding Posix entries.

Client configuration on RedHat based distros is done with authconfig-tui.

I'm actually prepping a short talk for my local Linux LUG on this
topic for tonight.  I'll send you the notes when I'm done if you'd
like.