[389-users] what are components of FDS?

Kỳ Anh, Huỳnh xkyanh at gmail.com
Wed May 20 08:05:43 UTC 2009

On Fri, 15 May 2009 11:00:15 -0600
Rich Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com> wrote:

> Ky` Anh, Huy`nh wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am going to install FDS on a FreeBSD jail. This means that FDS
> > will use FC8 compatibility mode which provided by FreeBSD 7.2. I
> > downloaded the binary version of FDS 1.04
> > (fedora-ds-1.0.4-1.FC6.i386.opt.rpm) and my initial installation
> > worked perfectly. This is only a *test* and now I'd like to
> > install the latest version of FDS. I searched at
> >
> >    http://directory.fedoraproject.org/yum/dirsrv/fedora/
> >
> > but there were so many packages that made me confused. I'd like
> > to know:
> >
> > (1) what are components of FDS 1.2.0 and what files should I
> > download to get FDS worked in FC8? (If FDS binaries work on FC8
> > they should work on a FreeBSD jail ;)
> >
> > (2) is it necessary to start the web interface of FDS? I just
> > like to setup a LDAP database and then run all from command lines
> > without touching the web browsers (yes I hate GUI). If this is
> > the case I will run only FDS service and have nothing to do with
> > Apache/Java requirements of FDS. In fact I don't want to install
> > any web servers on my FDS server.
> >
> > Your helps are highly appreciated. And if you have ever
> > experienced FDS on FreeBSD please give me some advices!
> >

> fedora-ds-base - core directory server, no UI, no admin server - if
> you don't care about admin server or console, you can just install
> this

Thank you, Rich.

I've built `fedora-ds-base` successfully on FC8. Then I move all built files to my FreeBSD machine to test. You can read some details at http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?p=24826#post24826.

After chroot-ing to Linux inside FreeBSD I run `setup-ds.pl` to create the first instance of FDS. The script worked very well but it couldnot start the service as below.

/==============================================================================

$ uname -s
FreeBSD

$ chroot /home/fc8/ /bin/bash

# # now i'm in Linux mode

# /opt/fedora-ds/sbin/ns-slapd \
  -d 9 \
  -D /opt/fedora-ds/etc/dirsrv/slapd-fds2 \
  -i /opt/fedora-ds/var/run/dirsrv/slapd-fds2.pid \
  -w /opt/fedora-ds/var/run/dirsrv/slapd-fds2.startpid

[20/May/2009:13:35:18 +0700] - Fedora-Directory/1.2.0 B2009.139.99 starting up
[20/May/2009:13:35:18 +0700] - Failed to create semaphore for stats
file (/opt/fedora-ds/var/run/dirsrv/slapd-fds2.stats). Error
38.(Function not implemented)

FDS tried to create stat file but it failed to do that. So it stopped working.

Is there anyone who experiences this problem?

Regards,

--
Ky Anh, Huynh
Homepage: http://viettug.org/