[389-users] Access.conf issue

Prashanth Sundaram psundaram at wgen.net
Mon Nov 23 04:32:54 UTC 2009

Thanks Robert. That seems to work well.

But here is my scenario I have a bunch of Groups and not sure if I can specify multiple groupdn's in ldap.conf.

Group1= Developers on Project1 need access to only proj1 servers
Group2= QA on Project1 need access to proj1 servers only
Group3= sysadmins accesss to all servers

Available methods for access control:

1. Host attribute based ACL- Adding an extra attribute for each user and maintaining a list of 40-50 servers per user.
Major Disadvantage: Manual entry for each user account or atleast scripting based on group membership which makes it too complex.

2. Use NisNetGroups: Maintain separate set of netgroups for proj1-servers, proj1-Developers, proj1-QA, Groupfor-ALLservers, GroupforSysadmin.
Major Disadvantage: we add/remove hosts a lot and to maintain a huge list of nisNetgroups for hosts as well as users seems cumbersome or atleast doubling the DB. Also lack of tools.

Can you suggest suitable scenario and any tools I can use to minimize the effort?

Thanks once again.

Prashanth