[389-users] Problem creating new Organizational Unit

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 23:10:02 UTC 2009

Anthony M. Farrell wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 03:18:12 Rich Megginson wrote:
>
>> What are the exact steps you are using to create the OU entry?  Are you
>> using the Directory tab in the Directory Server window of the console?
>> Are you using the main window Users&Groups editor?
>> Can you reproduce the problem using 389-console -D 9 -f console.log,
>> edit console.log to remove any sensitive information, and paste the
>> console.log to the list?
>>

> The project aim is to migrate from a standalone FDS server to an upgraded 389
> DS running in a virtual environment.
>
> The only change I have made to the default 389 installation is to add the
> horde schema, used to enable the Horde/Turba addressbook capability and this
> works very well.
>
> Users and Groups were imported from the previous FDS 1.0.4 installation using
> the Export and Import Databases option under the Tasks tab. The LDIF data
> includes Samba schema entries that had been working very well on the other
> box.
>
> I have enabled posixUser attributes for UID and the required primary GID for
> our database account and added the posixGroup value to objectclass to enable
> the RedHat Private User Groups to be entered for our Linux file server
> accounts. I have also created a number of specific user groups and allocated
> members. All this appears to be working just fine. Future intention is to use
> the DNA plugin to manage the UID/GID allocation.

Note that it is the objectclass "posixAccount" not "posixUser".  Did you
manually add an objectclass named posixUser to something?

I'm not sure where the posixUser is coming from, or why it is being
added to the list of objectclasses for an organizational unit.  Try this

/usr/lib/mozldap/ldapsearch -T -D "cn=directory manager"-w password -b
o=netscaperoot "objectclass=*" | grep -i posixuser