[389-users] PAM PTA partially working

Prashanth Sundaram psundaram at wgen.net
Tue Sep 22 21:15:08 UTC 2009

Rich,

Andrey¹s suggestion worked. Yes, I have enabled SSL in the Admin server and
Directory Server. But it still would fall back on 389-ds password, when
³pamsecure=TRUE¹. If I set pamsecure=FALSE, the authentication passed
through to the AD as intended.

How do I secure the communication between 389-ds and LDAP server? I used
wireshark to capture packets, and it¹s all clear.

> To revisit, here's the observation: pamsecure when set to TRUE authenticates
> users only to the password in 389-ds, but when set to FALSE will
> authenticate to the AD password only if the uid exists in /etc/passwd.

That's really bizarre - the only place where pamSecure is used is here:
   if (cfg->pamptconfig_secure) { /* is a secure connection required? */
       int is_ssl = 0;
       slapi_pblock_get(pb, SLAPI_CONN_IS_SSL_SESSION, &is_ssl);
       if (!is_ssl) {
           slapi_log_error( SLAPI_LOG_PLUGIN, PAM_PASSTHRU_PLUGIN_SUBSYSTEM,
"<= connection not secure (secure connection required; check config)");
           return retcode;
       }
   }
That is, if pamSecure is true, requests will be rejected unless using
TLS/SSL.  Do you have your directory server configured to use TLS/SSL when
using pamSecure: TRUE?