grep DocBook *.xml in setting up emacs

Tammy Fox tfox at redhat.com
Mon Sep 29 20:45:47 UTC 2003

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 08:58:12PM +0100, G Henry wrote:

> Hi all,
> First post to this mailing list. Must say I am looking forward to the stable
> release of FC.
>
> Well, a bit about myself:
>
> 25 graduate engineer, from Aberdeen, Scotland. Constantly trying to study for
> my RHCE, but now everything has changed, don't know if I can afford an
> Enterprise copy, maybe just learn from the books what I can't else where.
>
> Setting up a linux support company in Aberdeen too, amonst over things.
>
> Anyway, I am trying to get emacs going for the docs project, but can't get
> past this bit:
>
> "Find the parent file for the group of DocBook files. You will recognize this
> file by the header <!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN".
> An easy way to find this parent file is to use the command grep DocBook
> *.xml. Once you find the parent file, open it in Emacs with the command emacs
> <parentfile>.xml (where <parentfile>.xml is the parent file you found."
>
> I don't know where the parent file is or where to grep. Am I being stupid?
>

> Hope someone can put me straight.

In the fedora-docs module, there is a directory for each manuals. So,
for example, if you change to the documentation-guide directory, and
execute the command:

grep DocBook *.sgml

at the bottom of the list, you will see:

documentation-guide.xml:<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN"

This means that the documentation-guide.xml file is the parent
file. The parent file is where entities are declared as well as all
the other included files if the document is broken up into multiple
files.

Regards,
Tammy