docs translation

Tammy Fox tfox at redhat.com
Tue Sep 30 17:44:31 UTC 2003

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 01:56:47AM -0300, Luiz Rocha wrote:
> > 1. CVS location -- separate or in the same module as the original version
>
>   I think both would work. Is an organization matter. Once we get any of the
> going, will be fine.
>
>   I checked out the fedora-docs tree and I think that something like
>
>   common/
>   css/
>   en/
>   fr/
>   pt-br/
>   xsl/
>
>   would be okay. But this is my opinion only. How exactly this is done in RH?

Separate modules per language is better so everyone doesn't have to
check out all the languages. The bigger the docs get, the more
diskspace this is going to take.

> > 2. Method -- there are tools to convert from XML to PO and back to XML --
> > probably the best choice
>
>   Is the XML to PO back to XML dance really necessary?

No. It is not necessary, but our internal RH translators have
translated using both methods and feel that using PO files is a
superior method. XML to PO to XML has some advantages such as not
marking computeroutputs as text to be translated since it is direct
output from a configuration file or source code. Another advantage is
that it marks content as fuzzy, which helps if someone just changes a
few words in the master verson. I'm sure Paul or Sarah could expand on
the benefits.

>   I mean, this may be functional for short, interface translations, but for
> long, descritive documents, I don't know.

Our RHEL docs are very long, and it works for them.

>   Personaly, I rather have a CVS diff with the changes in a document and grok
> the XML directly. I like having the full doc I'm translating in front of me.
> But that's just me, I could do the XML/PO dance, no problem.
>
>   I will look for some tools to do it.
>
> > 3. Process for alert translators of new and changed content
>
>   I think the best way is to always post in the fedora-docs list any changes
> made in any document. Translators them should update the translated versions.
> Each translation initiative should have someone responsable for it.

I like Karsten's suggestions of having commit messages go to this list
and maybe a different list if the traffic gets annoying. Ed's idea to
not show the diff is a good one as well. If we use a different CVS
server than the current one we are using, we could change the syncmail
script. If we share with devel, I don't think they are going to want
that. Of course, I can also setup a separate CVSROOT for us on the
same server and use a different syncmail.

Tammy