Using elvis?

Dave Pawson davep at dpawson.co.uk
Sun Aug 1 12:24:44 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 23:51, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> I am really going to regret saying this. But...

> My Docbook learning experience is a little while ago now, and I
> expect a new one shortly. But the "which part" is easy:
>
> Emacs.
>
> I realise this is a holy war,

> I am sorry. I do not think this is the answer you wanted to
> hear! But for me, the problem was an editor that didn't seem
> to fit me, for which every manual was written.

Perfectly good answer. I am told that vim has an xml mode too,
but I don't use vim, so I can't point you to it.

I think the *use emacs* mandate is too strong, but your point
about needing Unicode is well taken.
  Any text editor that supports Unicode, or an understanding of
Numerical code points is necessary.

> As for installing, I am the wrong person to comment, because
> from my point of view it has become a lot easier. (But it was
> hell before.) I just ensure that DocBook and stylesheets are
> selected in the install. And hope that they'll pull the rest
> in. Hoorah for dependencies.

Having done it before, and suffered, I'm now able to do a full
docbook install without problems.
  The docbook community update so frequently that you need to
be able to re-install without pain :-)

Google on vim xml gets some results. Tobias seems to have documented it;
I'm sure there is plenty around, if you want it?

--
Regards DaveP.
XSLT&Docbook  FAQ