Using elvis?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Aug 9 10:05:58 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 04:58, Colin Charles wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 16:34, Karsten Wade wrote:
>
> > > We've been talking about public CVS for far too long, and I think the
> > > longer we wait, the longer Fedora Docs becomes less & less relevant
> >
> > Sorry if I'm being dense, but I don't understand how having public CVS
> > resolves the problems of Fedora docs?  I see a lack of content, some
> > broken processes, and barriers to entry, but I don't see how public CVS
> > resolves that.
>
> People can commit to a place - it will be in one central location -
> there will be drive and interest to write it

I think we are in agreement, at least on the major points:

1. A temporary CVS is useful, and Brad is generous to offer to setup and
maintain such.

2. Hosting Fedora docs not at fedora.redhat.com/docs is fractious and
confusing.

> Where do people who write Fedora docs now commit things to? Or host it?
> FedoraNEWS.ORG seems like a welcome host (but its not Fedora Docs!).
> Random websites on the Net look like welcome hosts (but i ts not Fedora
> Docs!)
>
> We need docs in one place, not scattered all over the Net - we have to
> grow as a project, and we don't have docs to start with (sending people
> to RHL9 documentation is *embarassing*)
>
> Lack of content is because there are broken processes and barriers to
> entry. Stop telling people that there's Emacs, and only Emacs to use.
> Let people write in HTML, and we might even find folk whom want to
> DocBookify them - remember, together we stand and colloboration is the
> way to get work done. Let's work like how FreeBSD/Gentoo get
> documentation done (which is excellent, in comparison to ours)

That would make a wonderful bugzilla/RFE, to change our Doc Guide to say
that other formats are welcome _if_ the author gets on the list and
finds at least one person willing to help with the conversion.

I think that 50% of the HTML-based authors will get excited about
maintaining their own doc in DocBook.  Perhaps part of the process of
maintaining a doc over the long term is to actually learn the toolchain.

But the toolchain need not be a barrier.  And, as you say, if we have a
CVS to commit to, work will get done just because now there is somewhere
to put it.  I'm sold on that idea.

> > > Keeping in mind that the barrier of entry is already relatively high
> > > (you need to know DocBook, you need to use Emacs, etc...), this makes
> > > folk move closer to creating docs on 3rd party sites
> >
> > Agreed about the difficulties.  To address this, Mark Johnson mentioned
> > the idea of doing a Fedora Docs Quick Start Guide.  He would make it a
> > focused tutorial, using his psgmlx mode for Emacs, which gives a
> > friendly and useful XML editing environment.  Would that be helpful?
>
> I'm guessing. I can use Emacs, so this doesn't apply. Maybe we want to
> ask fedora-list folk?

Some kind of Quick Start guide would be good, and it can have a short
chapter that tells you how to use other editors and toolchains, if they
will work.

Mainly, I think we should try to spend our energy on tools that work
under Fedora Core.

> > Still, Emacs is not required, and there have been plenty of offers to
> > convert and actual conversions from just about any source document into
> > a Fedora doc.  The contribution of content is what is lacking.
>
> Yes. Notice I've been picking out bits and pieces from fedora-list and
> sending it to fedora-docs-list? I'll continue doing this...
>
> But I'm willing to bet the lack of contribution is because the
> momentum/wheel hasn't started rolling

Right.  Out of these threads, I'm hoping we'll have the following:

* A bunch of bug reports on existing documents and websites
* Several specific lists of content that is ready to post on /docs
* Specific changes to make to /projects/docs

I'm in agreement with the rest of your points.

- Karsten

--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
a lemon is just a melon in disguise